Part II of III.
In the first part of this series, I outlined what the Secretary of Education actually does.
Now we turn to an analysis of the requirements of the position.
The biggest challenge and the part that is both equally amusing and horrifying is that there are no actual qualifications for the position of Secretary of Education. I’ve searched the Department of Education’s website and can’t find anything definitive. I think there are more written qualifications for an Administrative Assistant in my company than there are for this position. Using basis reasoning and logic, in addition to reviewing the basic requirements of positions such as Teacher, Principal, School Superintendent and School Board Member, one might reasonably expect that the Secretary of Education hold the following minimum requirements.
- 4-year degree from accredited institution in either Education or Public Policy required. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Instruction experience in a public or private primary, secondary educational institution or institution of higher learning.
- Experience in an educational administration role such as district superintendent.
- Experience in educational public policy.
- Former or current state Board of Education member.
- Experience managing a large team of professional employees.
- Experience managing a large budget.
Indeed, here are samples of the minimum requirements for various Superintendent roles in Michigan, the home state of Mrs. DeVos.
Superintendent/Principal K-12 schools for the Fairview Area Schools. Requirements include: Master’s Degree in Education or related field, experience in school administration/staff management, and a proven track history of budget preparation, adjustments, and successful implementation of approved budget. Applicant must possess excellent verbal and written skills, a firm understanding of a small school environment, and a strong record of high moral, ethical, and professional standards.
To apply for the Superintendent position at Williamston Community Schools in Michigan, candidates must possess the following background:
- Experience as a teacher, building administrator, and/or Central Office administrator;
- Master’s Degree plus Administrative Certification with evidence of on-going leadership training;
- Accomplishments which reflect ability to enhance educational programs and increase student achievement;
- Experience with Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS);
- Deep understanding of curriculum and teaching methodologies;
And one more, cause three is better than two. The Allendale Public School District in Michigan publishes a candidate profile complete with required professional background: Master’s plus administrative certificate , Teaching and Administrative experience, Possesses a strong background in K‐12 education, previous Superintendent/Central Office experience preferred , An instructional leader with previous success improving achievement for all students, Successful experience implementing instructional technology, and experience in school construction preferred.
Tune in for the final part of this series where we will put Mrs. DeVos’s experience and background under a microscope and make our final recommendation.